Addicted Daughter is Pregnant - any experience out there?

children

My daughter is 7 months pregnant and I believe she is still experiencing relapses with hydromorphone. Needless to say I am petrified and heart broken, on what challenges this unborn child will have both mentally and physically as a result of possible drug use during the pregnancy. Any experience out there? I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for your question @Leesa I can imagine how tough a position that puts you in. Sending :heart: and inviting our parents and others in this community to share similar experiences.

@Leesa I cannot imagine how scary this is for you and your family and I know what I am going to suggest will be just as scary but I recommend that you contact your local child protective services. You can do so anonymously just to ask them what your options are or you can reach out to her doctor to ask that she be tested, doctors are mandated reporters therefore it would take the burden of reporting off of you. I know telling on our children can be a devastating thought but think more about the baby who has no decisions or input, perhaps you have to advocate for the voiceless baby growing

Hi @Leesa & @rosebud I found this page that might be useful to you - let me know what you think! And how are you doing? :heart:

Kerry, this is great advice!

Hi Leasa,
My husband and I are in a similar situation. My stepson and his girlfriend are expecting a baby in May and they have both been addicted to meth. They live in another state and we have no idea if she is still using, but we know that she used drugs at least through the first trimester. I have a friend who works in a hospital and works on the maternity floor near the NICU. She told me that if there is suspicion of maternal drug use the local CPS will be contacted. I have been reading about it and there can definitely be some physical and mental issues, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. My husband and I want to make sure the baby is safe and healthy so we are trying to learn what we can do to ensure that. It’s so scary to think about. Feel free to contact me via private message, we can help each other get through this!

Thank you! It looks interesting. My husband and I are doing ok. The baby is due in mid May so we are in limbo as far as knowing about the baby’s health until then. My stepson and his girlfriend are not communicating with us much, which is frustrating but that’s just the way it is right now.