Am I attracted to people who struggle with addiction?

mental-health

Do you think that this is a thing? A good or bad thing? :wink: What’s your experience been like here?

I’ve been brewing on this question - so I appreciate your patience! I also applaud the post- it’s not discussed nearly enough.

I will put it bluntly - I was addicted to the idea of fixing him. I was addicted to the ‘project’ and drama and chaos.

He’s got almost 7 years clean and sober, and it was about 3 years in that I realized I was still miserable. And this is addict hubby #2 - I’d left hubs 1 due to addiction.

It’s SO much more complicated than “I’m addicted to addicts” - it’s rooted in a lack of self worth and boundaries, to say the least.

Sometimes it feels like such a big issue to tackle, but then I remember my daughters and that I have a responsibility to heal myself for them. And if anything I do can have a ripple effect into the universe - even better. :slight_smile:

I even branded myself as the “Coach for Wives of Addicts” at one point - and realized it was the codependency creeping back in. It’s a sneaky little devil…

So I guess to answer the question - I think it’s an opportunity to heal. <3

Thanks for brewing on it and sharing @ErinHill💓

Thanks for sharing @ErinHill! It’s a gift to this community for you to share such thoughtful contributions.

I’m interested in this self-reflection:

Would you consider sharing more about your thoughts on the concept codependency on this post?!