How do I deal with intense cravings?

mental-health

I’ve been clean of acetaminophen or tylenol for about a month now and no one in my family knows but I have friends who know and I’m trying to deal with it on my own and recently I’ve been having intense cravings for it again and I just have the urge to take an entire bottle to just be numb, and I’m having issues fighting that urge. It especially perks up when I have a panic attack or anxiety or when I’m worried or even if 1 small thing goes wrong, I have the urge to start taking them again. How do you deal with these intense cravings?

Awesome stuff being clean for the last month. That’s massive and can only imagine how hard it is. Just remember how far you’ve come. Im here because of my husband who is a alcoholic but in my field as a occupational therapist in mental health and addiction services we teach alot about sensory modulation as a form of treatment. Not everyone takes to it but you may find it helpful. It’s basically using our sensory system - internal and external - to modulate/regulate our emotions which can be awesome for dealing with stuff in the moment like panic attack or cravings. We all use our senses to interpret our environment and one way or another we equally use our senses to regulate how we feel for example, we go for a run to combat our feeling of flight n fight, or we have a coffee to be more alert or it helps calm us, or we lie in bed with a heavy blanket on top of us etc. The key thing is finding something specific for you and something that is equal to the feeling of intense cravings… almost like something which helps distract you but calms you just the same. Likely there is something you already do to cope (different to using) which could be adapted. A good place to start I’d thinking what you did as a kid to cope. A lot of answers lie there and you can adapt those coping strategies from a child to a adult… It’s hard to go into loads of detail here but look sensory modulation up or find a OT that knows what it is.

Of course theres mindfulness and meditation which you may find helpful, or picking up the phone and talk to someone on a helpline instead if using.

Probably all things you’ve thought of or have tried.

Be kind to yourself. Keep choosing the next right thing. You’re doing awesome x

Hi there @Gimmiefood, I’m so happy you feel safe here to share your experience. And it’s always a good idea to clear your system! Wondering what the resistance is to sharing this with your family? I don’t have any personal history treating people who have this addiction, but whenever something is taken to numb our other feelings it’s worth looking at.

What @Vetti mentioned is FANTASTIC and reminds me of the idea of self soothing - doing something in the moment that touches your senses in s healthier way.

Safety disclaimer: please do what you can to talk to a medical professional about this, and if you fear you are taking too much call 911 or go to an emergency room. I don’t say this to scare you, but just to emphasize that certain interventions required assistance from a medical doctor.

Keep us posted, thinking of you! :yellow_heart: