How do I deal with my alcoholic whose behavior is affecting the business

alcohol

My adult alcoholic son works for us in the business, as my husband is quite elderly and hoping to train my son to eventually take his position in the business. We run an events company so most of our functions are over the weekends and there can be periods where we can work continually with out a break.
My son however who is now almost 30 and still lives at home us has the problem of not being able to not go out over the weekend . When he does go out he cannot see to stop drinking and his behavior is to say the least unacceptable, as he is either to hungover to make work the next day or he arrives still drunk from the night before. My son however does not seem to think there is anything wrong with his behavior.
It has now got to the stage where I feel that we need to tell him that he must go to rehab or we ask him to move out and find another job elsewhere. But I am not sure if this is the right way because we might be forcing him to make a decision.

Hi @ KVJ

I think that is a good idea. You must create boundaries for you and your husband’s sake. If your son doesn’t believe his behavior is unacceptable, have him go get a job somewhere else and show up hung over or drunk. He is jeopardizing your business reputation. It might be best to have him go out and support himself for a while to realize he needs to be accountable for his own life. It’s ok to create boundaries, my son told me that was the best thing I ever did for him.

Jewelrydiva70

At 30, a decision or 2 would help him. He wont see imself as an adult until you see him as an adult. His life His choices.
I think you are endangering your own well being. Live and let live.

Nora