How do you handle situations where someone's substance use puts others at risk?

alcohol

My friend is a doctor and has a habit of drinking a lot while on call. To my knowledge this hasn’t caused a problem yet but it’s certainly risky and not optimal nor allowed! How does one be a friend and ally and also do the right thing? I know I’m not the only one who has faced this question! Love to hear examples of how others have handled this.

Have you tried asking him how he feels about drinking on call? Perhaps, not at the time but at another time. In my own experience, if somebody’s doing something that concerns me for them and others, I try to find a time where it’s not happening, and they are calm and ‘reasonable’ and ask for their permission to ask them something important, which is coming from a place of care and love, not judgement.

I know you put ‘put others at risk’ in the title of your question - but this behaviour puts your friend just as much at risk as he could stand to lose his livelihood and career if he continues, as well as hurting others he is meant to be there to actually help. By knowing that in raising this, you are an ally and a friend because his own self interest is at the heart of the issue.

Nice reframe - this feels like an easier way to bring up the subject without jumping to a judgement. Thanks.