How to deal with a loved one in recovery and is using marijuana?

marijuana

How do deal with a loved that is supposedly in recovery from hard drugs but justifies using marijuana? A drug is a drug

I have had a similar situation and conversations with my husband. He struggled with cocaine addiction and now, a couple years on, still has trouble sleeping. He asked me what I would think about him using marijuana to help him get to and have a good sleep.

When he came out of rehab a few years ago I remember his therapist and other professionals suggested he use some kind of sleep medication and perhaps other medication to help manage sleep and depression (typical after cocaine addiction). His reaction was ‘this is the first time in forever I’m not taking drugs and I want to get back to my own baseline.’ So he refused.

My reaction to his question about marijuana now was - I’d much prefer if you tried alternative non-substance related options first (meditation, exercise etc.) before jumping to marijuana. If you try those and they don’t work and you end up finding out that marijuana is perfect for this then I get it.

However, after all this - he now uses alcohol at the end of the day to wind down. I’m not sure it’s much better! And he hasn’t yet tried meditation or exercise!

I’m not sure what I think about it. I need to know more research. When my boyfriend smoked pot all he did was sleep and watch tv and not work so in that wayI feel it is bad

Any gentle insight to share here @Dean_Acton?!

Yeah definitely try exercise and meditation first, I do both myself and I find it works perfectly. I’m not against marijuana as something to manage cravings or help sleep but only for those things, not smoking all day and getting high.