Is it possible to help someone get off Meth without insurance?

homeless
methamphetamine

My boyfriend’s son is on Meth and he’s not taking responsibility for anything including his 3 children. They have been taken away and are wards of the state and living with his wifes parents. He has taken their Mother away from them as well and they are living with other people or possibly homeless. No way to contact unless they just show up or we leave a message for them on social media account. My boyfriend is so distraught and he thinks hes going to watch his son die. Last time he saw him he was dumpster diving, tried to sell him stolen goods and drove off when he saw police car. Hes not even the same person anymore!

Hey there @Jenbear, reaching out here and helping your boyfriend find support for his son is wonderful and hopefully we can provide you with information and feedback that can help. This is a tough situation, but it’s good to know that you can track them down in some way, even if it’s just through social media.

A few questions: Has he been in treatment before? Does he want to get off of Meth? What is his support system like? I ask because this helps figure out what level of motivation he has to get off the drugs, regardless of insurance.

It is possible to get off Meth at home, but it is also highly recommended that if he goes this route that he has support at home and is monitored because the withdrawal can be pretty severe. In addition, if the symptoms become very severe it’s important to have someone there who can either call 911 or take him to a nearby emergency room. Withdrawal truly begins 2-3 days after someone last used meth and lasts about 7-10 days in total. In this time, some of the symptoms to look out for are: Aches and pains, agitation, anxiety, depression, difficulty sleeping and concentrating, exhaustion, insomnia, memory problems, mood swings, and psychosis. It is also important that once it is out of his system that he has some sort of supportive recovery follow up, such as Crystal Meth Anonymous (CMA), this is free and meetings can be found here.

If you check out this previous post on finding treatment that is state funded you can find links to websites that guide you to help when someone doesn’t have insurance. Once you get in touch with your state’s office you can provide information that they will need to make sure your boyfriends son meets certain requirements to qualify for state funded treatment. Some of these requirements include a demonstrated lack of income or addiction status and/or need for intervention.

Thinking of you, and just know that there is hope, even if he seems like a different person at the moment! Change is possible: with time and support, the brain can heal. Evidenced based options as treatment exist. Different people need different options: not one size fits all. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help support :yellow_heart:

Thank you for posting your question @Jenbear!

I don’t have experience specifically with someone using meth, and want to post an answer here just to tell you it’s admirable that you’re seeking help for yourself, your boyfriend, his son, and his son’s family. Your care is so, so important.

What do you think of @erica’s information? Any follow-up questions?

We’re all here for you. :hugs: