Looking for ways to gain control of my drinking?

alcohol

Good Morning, im new here. im looking for info on how to gain control of my addiction to Alcohol. a bit of history, m 45yrs old and have been drinking since i was about 15. in the last 3 yrs ive been trying to quit. im a binge drinker. so i drink about 1 week and have done that in the last 6 months. when im sober i feel good but then i end up drinking.

Welcome! Are there things that have worked for you in the past in relation to your drinking? It’s a great place to start by looking at what has worked for you and consciously focusing on enlisting those tactics again!

Also, are there any friends and / or family that you’ve brought in to support you with this goal? Often if you’re concerned there’s someone or someones(!!) who are also concerned about your substance use that would love to be your ally in helping you meet your goals :slight_smile:

Research shows that connection is the opposite of addiction!

lately it seems to be events like xmas parties…staff outtings. most of my friends and family drink. fortunate they can handle theirs and dont have my problem. i think refraining from my friends as much as i can helps. when i fall into the everyday work and go home…seems like im looking for that escape. i have been to treatment in the past and have the tools i need to be successful, but when i give myself permission to drink that when it starts.

The holiday season can be so tough for drinking!

What do you think about the idea of enrolling a or some friends or family to support you with this?

I know how that daily grind gets. Support from loved ones could be - planning an after work activity that doesn’t involve drinking! Or scheduling some phone catch ups :slight_smile:

Remember new habits take time and support to make - it can be super helpful to have the support of people we love in trying to make them! Not to mention - we want to support you.

If my husband told me he’d like my help to stop drinking after work I’d be so ready to help come up with ideas to snap out of the habit!

yes i will start with that…i need to find AA meetings in my area as well. maybe new friends on that side will help. thanks.

Hey Kj,
Well your taking the first biggest step by asking for help. Now I must warn you that detoxing off of alcohol is one that you should not do alone, that you should be medically monitored. That being said finding a detox would be a great place to get yourself centered. Then Id suggest maybe finding a AA meeting or maybe a Smart Recovery meeting and get some helpful tools to help you recognize when things might be getting out of control. Im not sure if you have the ability or not but you could always go into a 30 adult program , where they will work with you and help you understand the disease .

Always Here ,
Kris
Recovery Coach and Advocate
Ambrosia Treatment Center

let us know how you get on! remember it’s all about trying new things (and old things that have worked in the past) to find the ones that work for us.

This community is all about sharing what works and what doesn’t work for each of us so that we may learn from one another. Your hard earned experience and knowledge is so helpful here!

Sending <3

Interesting this brings up a question I have that I’ll post separately and maybe you can help answer @Kris_Perry_Long!