My friend has relapsed using heroin and overdosed for the first time, what is the next step here?

heroin
relapse

I almost feel like there is no hope. After relapsing about 5 times, my best friend who is addicted to heroin overdosed for the first time yesterday. We are so lucky he is alive. He’s done several 28 day and longer programs. I’m not sure what the next step is?

Relapse is very common for this substance. Sadly so are overdoses. If you are able keep the antidote handy. The next step is up to your friend. They will either retry recovery or continue to use for a period of time. You can let them know you’re there and are willing to help when they are ready to receive it.

I know it doesn’t seem like it but there is hope. My son relapsed too many times to count. We got him on medication assistance and, at least right now, he’s clean and healthy.
There are stories of countless celebrities who have come forward to talk about their addiction that lasted 10, 20, 30 years. Then they saw the light for whatever reason.
Hope is hard to maintain when you’re in the midst of this dreaded disease. But Hope is always there.

Look for every moment of peace, appreciate what is good and k ow that you can’t force an addict to be clean. Anger and arguing will not likely be helpful.

You can be angry, you can be mad, confused, hurt, betrayed – these are all things we’ve all gone through. Just as you wouldn’t yell at someone who has diabetes, the addict doesn’t need your anger. The addict isn’t living the life they want either. But this damn disease steals from them.

:heart:

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend, and I do hope Narcan is something you can get your hands on in case of emergency. I can relate, my brother was a long term opiate (heroin and fentanyl) user, and after many attempts has finally stabilized in recovery with the help of Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) - specifically Suboxone maintenance. But it’s been a long journey, and when I’ve found myself losing hope, I’ve done my best to focus on any positives and identify things I can do to help, and accept things I have no control over.

When considering cutting down or stopping use of narcotics, prescription painkillers, heroin, or any other opioid drug, it’s important to keep in mind that the process may be more difficult than other substances due to the withdrawal symptoms that occur when one stops taking these substances. Being willing to get treatment is the first step in recovery, and similarly to other substances, there is no one size fits all approach to treatment. One option which should always be consulted with a doctor is Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT) where the opiate user combines counseling and other recovery supports with prescribed medications that can help reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms that go along with stopping opiate use. Medications can help people get started in treatment and recovery making healthy lifestyle changes necessary for long term recovery, and with the coordination of treatment providers can find when the right time to discontinue the medication is for each individual. Naltrexone, blocks the pain relieving effects of opioids and their ability to induce euphoria (which are the factors that contribute to a need or desire for continued use). Research shows that the extended release injectable form of naltrexone (Vivitrol) helps reduce cravings, remain in treatment longer, and helps abstain from opiates. I wonder if he’s ever considered the Vivitrol injection? Let me know, and if not, I can give you more information on it!

Recovery support is essential which can include family or friends, connections with others in recovery, and professional help. The longer people stay in some sort of treatment/recovery setting and make use of supports the better they do at abstaining from the drug.

In this case, I personally find hope in the clear evidence that he has some level of motivation to be in recovery based upon attending numerous 28 day and longer programs. He wants help, but is just having a hard time finding what works for him. :yellow_heart:

What else to know about Naltrexone?

I just got a primer on Vivitrol, which is a brand name for Naltrexone, from a doctor who prescribes it. The kicker is that you have to abstain from all opiates and suboxone for 10 days before getting a dose of Naltrexone, to avoid sudden withdrawal because it kicks off the other drugs from the brain receptors. This period of abstinence is difficult for someone who has an opiate addiction or who is using suboxone, because these drugs are hard to stop suddenly. In fact, someone may need to go through medically supervised detox before starting on Naltrexone.

As I understand it, you can get a shot for 30 days at a time of Naltrexone and then you don’t have to rely on the person to comply with daily dosing for suboxone, for instance. The Naltrexone completely blocks the effects of opiates during that time.

Feeling deflated and worried is natural, particularly right now.

When you’re ready for it - I’d love to share a wee ‘hopeful’ reminder: