The holidays and winter can be the toughest time - how does it affect you and / or your loved one?

recovery
mental-health
self-care

Facing a loved one’s addiction through the holiday period can become even more intense, and with the winters lasting longer we’re not out of the woods yet! We’re here with you through it all. Love to hear how you’re coping through the winter - both yourself and your loved one <3

Winter is much more difficult for me due to medical issues on top of recovery. I keep my network of support closer. I also know its getting me nowhere to go but down.

Sending you oodles of (((Hugs))) all! The winter has SO many additional issues - with the cold, the dark, etc.

If I may some things that help me is taking a vitamin D supplement and trying to get some additional physical activity. It’s also important to reach out before you feel yourself slipping into that cold dark space yourself. We’re all here supporting you!

@ErinHill I’ve heard great things about vitamin D for recovery - can you share a bit more on that!?

Great question @Jane!

For me - I work from home most days so I make sure to open the windows even if it’s gray outside to let some light in and not let it get too “cave-like” in my house! :partly_sunny:

For my loved one - I make sure we have some kind of in-person touch point on the calendar so that he and I both have something to look forward too in the winter drag!

Midwest winters are brutal, and we’ve still got a long way to go! I try to find the beauty in winter. Yesterday while driving home it was so gray, I felt like I was in a black and white picture book, with red brake lights offering the only color. But the black, twisty branches of the trees contrasting with the gray skies looked so beautiful to me that I actually pulled over to take a picture. This morning, the trees were still frozen and actually crackling in the wind! The sky: BLUE. I try to remember that like everything else, this too shall pass. Surviving the winter makes me stronger and helps me appreciate the warmer days. Keep going!!! :pray:t4::sparkles::cold_face::snowflake:

This winter has definitely been tough for me. Whenever Christmas passes, I suddenly get anxiety just anticipating what the winter holds. Cold weather, dry skin, and worst of all… lower mood. I’m pretty sure I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, which many of you know is depressed mood during the winter months.

I try to combat this by taking an extra vitamin b capsule if I’m feeling low-energy, and it definitely helps a lot. I also try to get out and move my body, which I’m really trying to emphasize. This has a massive impact on me, but lately things have been so busy with school that it can be really tough to find the time!

Spending quality time with friends and loved ones also helps tons <3

“What you seek is seeking you.” Love this reminder to seek what is good & beautiful!