We made it through thanksgiving, how's everyone doing out there?

self-care

Holidays are the best and can be the worst of times when a loved one is struggling with addiction. How was your thanksgiving? Let’s debrief. Highs, lows, let’s have them all <3

3 years into recovery and my husband is a champ. Chain-smoked all vacay (sort of but sort of not joking - can’t heal everything! still working on the cigarettes…) But this holiday I remembered holidays passed, where he missed flights, slept all day etc.

This was different. He woke ahead of me each morning. And we made our super early flight. This man is responsible, caring and connected in ways that continue to make me so proud and in love with him.

Thankful for the journey. I guess they say you need to see the dark to see the light? I’m not sure if we need to, but we certainly have.

Love and light to all <3

Since both of my children are addicts, it was hard. My daughter was in rehab. My son is staying with my mom. The state took his kids, I have physical custody, he is not allowed to see them yett. My mother would not have thanksgiving dinner with the rest of the family because she did not want to leave my adult son alone.

Thanks for checking back in @Jane!

Thanksgiving itself was lovely - way too much food and football and board games with my husband’s family (and my sister and dad came, too!) – only to end the day with a crying phone call from my sister because of some ish with dad after they got home! The gist is that what dad did was the straw that broke her back. Shes angry & says she wants nothing to do with dad, dad is regretful & says he’s scared he’s lost her, and I’m trying to figure out how to support both. Sister is right to be angry right now, and I don’t want to leave dad alone (“take sides”) because we all know that connection is mega important! #oppositeofaddicition

So, we made it! And now I’m charting new waters… :sailboat:

There was a lot of anxiety leading up to this weekend but we made it through without an incident! We had our big family dinner the Saturday after thanksgiving at his moms place. His mom is a very unpleasant and stressful person that can make anyone need a drink. But he made the decision to go to an AA meeting that morning and I think it helped.
When the bottles of wine started opening up he somehow found himself in the position of pouring everyone a glass. I don’t know if he does this to show that he can but it makes me so nervous and I’m constantly trying to protect him from moments like that.
All in all the weekend passed without anything bad happening and I’m very proud of him and very glad that it’s over!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing this encouragement @Samas!