What are some practical tips to calm yourself down in the moment?

self-care

When “s#!t hits the fan,” everything feels urgent. Like it needs to be stressed over and solved immediately.

What are some ways you know to calm yourself down? How do you gain perspective?

Looking for some practical tips…

What I find works well for me is to remove myself from the situation, go somewhere quite and cool down. Then I have time to evaluate, reflect and come back with a fresh perspective and can also more easily respond from a place of understanding instead of knee jerk response hostility

That’s so great, @Dean_Acton!
Here is a post from a while ago that may provide some tips: [https://wethevillage.co/t/how-do-i-not-loose-my-cool-and-still-be-supportive-of-my-son-3-years-clean/649?u=erica]

Here are some additional tips that have helped many (including myself)!

1. Get moving - short, 10 minute bursts of activity can elevate your heart rate can help you relieve stress and give you more energy and optimism (put on some music and dance around, take your dog for a walk, walk or cycle to the grocery store, use the stairs instead of the elevator)
  2. Engage socially - this is a great way to avoid overreacting to internal or external events, sharing what is going on with someone else can make you feel safe and undersood (have lunch or coffee with a friend, confide in someone you know is a positive support in your life, help someone else)
  3. Avoid unnecessary stress - learn how to say “no”, avoid people who stress you out (or limit the time you spend with them), and take control of your environment (again, like @Dean_Acton mentioned, remove yourself from the situation)
  4. Alter the situation - express your feelings and communicate in an open, positive, and respectful way
  5. Adapt - how we think about situations can greatly impact our responses, you can regain control by shifting the way you think about situations (reframe problems, look at the big picture, adjust your standards)
  6. Accept things you can’t change - acceptance can be difficult, but it allows for you to avoid suffering (don’t try to control the uncontrollable, look for the upside, learn to forgive)
  7. Use some mindfulness techniques such as the 54321 Game:
    • Name 5 things you can see in the room with you
    • Name 4 things you can feel (chair on my back or feet on the floor)
    • Name 3 things you can hear right now (fingers tapping on a keyboard or TV)
    • Name 2 things you can smell right now (or, 2 things you like the smell of)
    • Name 1 good thing about yourself :hugs:

I do some deep breaths to start calming myself down. I do something else for a little bit, then think about it again after I’ve calmed down. If I can, I will talk it out with someone, or just talk out loud to myself. There’s something about hearing it rather than going over it in my head that seems to be more constructive. Maybe it slows me down and allows me to process better.

This relaxation technique can help in the moment so you have the ability to respond versus react.

Abdominal Breathing Exercise

1. Note the level of tension you’re feeling. Then place one hand on your abdomen right beneath your rib cage.
  2. Inhale slowly and deeply though your nose into the bottom of your lungs. If you’re breathing from your abdomen, you hand should actually rise. When we’re in a panic or an anxious mood we tend to breath higher up in the chest which can actually make things worse. In this case, your chest should move only slightly while your abdomen expands.
  3. When you’ve taken in a full breath, pause for a moment and then exhale slowly though your nose or your mouth (your choice). Be sure to exhale fully. As you exhale allow your whole body to just let go (you might visualize your arms and legs going loose and limp like a rag doll).
  4. Do ten slow full abdominal breaths. Try to keep your breathing smooth and regular , without gulping in a big breath or letting your breath out all at once. Count to 4 for both the inhale and exhale.

Five full minutes of abdominal breathing will have a noticeable effect in reducing anxiety or early symptoms of panic.

A note from Village :love_letter: : Our Coaches are trained in the leading evidence-based methods. If you’re interested to learn more about Coach Erica, click here. If you’re interested in going a bit deeper click here to book a one-on-one call with me.