What are the top things to say to avoid having the conversation with them when drunk?

boundaries
alcohol
communication

It goes round in circles when they’ve been drinking. What are the top things to say - even when you’re mad - to get them to chill out and pause any real conversation for another day?

Hmmmm. This is a tough question @polly! I think my immediate response would be something like:

I care about you and I am here for you. I want to be able to listen to each other, and would like to pause this conversation until a later time when we are both in a better place to do so.

I like this, because it doesn’t point any fingers, and sets a tone of clarity for what to expect.

I read this question yesterday and decided to come back to it because I was trying to transport myself back to this situation in my mind! I think, for me, it’s not so much circles as it is nonsense - and either way, hard to deal with! I think the way I’ve dealt with it in the past is kind of entertaining the nonsense (instead of trying to have a sensical conversation) (…maybe not the most compassionate response!) or just physically separating myself from the conversation by going to another room or going home.

Hard as it is, my advice would be to not react. Have a “poker” face and don’t engage in conversation when they have been drinking. I say this from learning from the mistakes I have made and wishing I had it to do over again.

Thanks for coming back. When I can’t leave the apartment and I want to maintain connection I think next time I will just try to be sweet and entertain it.

Why not try something new right?

It’s not hurting me (his behavior) unless I let it - especially in this case because it really doesn’t happen often and I know he feels bad about it (puking the next day!)

But it was a shock and it’s hard to react mindfully when caught by surprise!