What is one thing you wish you better understood about addiction?

It’s a tangled web. What has you confused, disconnected, or befuddled about addiction?! And if you’re able, share what you know in response!

You look at the person and it just doesn’t match up. My 28 year old son, looks 28 years old, he is funny and smart as well as very talented on his saxophone; My eyes see a grown adult. Yet he doesn’t always have the knowledge for “real” responsibility that an adult “should” have. He has a job now, he is showing up and working; he is back to his music yet he doesn’t get the monster of addiction lurking. He has had about 5 drinks since house arrest. He is quite honest when I ask questions (of course you have to ask the “right question”) He doesn’t see the the journey he took that I saw over the years. He continues to not take personal responsibility for the previous chaos due to addiction. He blames circumstances like breaking up with a girl, etc. My brain and eyes also see the teenager with his behavior. One moment you are saying “cool, he is doing what he needs to do”; then the goofy teenager shows up to mess up your vision and brain. Today, I am thankful for where I am in life and that is really all I can do. It is his journey and path. My journey and path is to learn and contninue self love.

So well put @Marie_Marie - my husband is 3 years into recovery and by all accounts doing so well. This week he even decided to quit smoking (a habit for over 20yrs!) But last night I get home and he’s sad because he drank a whole bottle of wine.

I just don’t get it?! It’s like steps forward, one step back!

Something that I really admire about you @Marie_Marie is that you always sign off your post/s with gratitude. Thank you for sharing your frustration & what you’re learning on this path.

I wish I could get a first hand look at what goes on in the mind when someone is struggling with addiction or experience it myself if there was a way. Why they make the choices they do, even if those choices are clearly wrong. Why hide things? Why continue to actively use when the support is right there trying their hardest to help you through it? Also I suppose this permeates all of society, why people don’t actively seek self growth? Why not better yourself physically, mentally and emotionally?

Me too! My brain knows that addiction is a disease, and sometimes (all the time?) it’s hard to really, really understand or reconcile that…