What is your loved one's drug of choice? Are they ever okay on other substances?

My husband cannot go near opioids. He was addicted to Vicodin and heroin. When he’s using, he lies and becomes a different person. However, he’s okay using other drugs such as marijuana and hallucinogens. He doesn’t drink heavily anymore but does have an occasional drink. I’m not thrilled when he uses other drugs but I just try to keep communication open about it.

Wondering what substances you’re dealing with at home, and your thoughts on them?

My husband’s drug of choice is oxycodone, heroin & fentanyl - he can have the occasional drink & will smoke weed on the very rare occasion as well. I really was not okay with it in the beginning because everyone says you have to be completely clean & sober. I’m realizing recovery isn’t one size fits all.

@vieve Yeah when my husband was in very early recovery he told me he had no intention of ever getting fully sober from weed or alcohol. That really bothered me at the time but I also started to learn that no recovery fits all. Turns out weed actually helped with anxiety and triggers. He’s been on suboxone for years and also takes medication for his ADHD, so in many traditional recovery communities they probably wouldn’t consider him really “recovered.” That’s part of the reason he doesn’t go to 12-step meetings - because he doesn’t feel accepted there.