What unproductive behavior do you want to give up?

self-care

What unproductive behavior do you need to give up?

Fearing the unknown? Obsessive thoughts? Getting tangled up with worry? Faking happiness? Forgetting your boundaries?

What is one action you can take this week to shift in a more productive direction?

Share below!

Happy Halloween, Villagers! :jack_o_lantern:

Not speaking honestly about what life is like with a husband in recovery :slight_smile:
Change starts in small and empathetic vocalizations.

Oh god, I would have to say obsessive thoughts/worry. I’d love to be able to relax, clear my mind and be able to focus on a clear direction. Also procrastination…it is a real problem

@polly Do you mean not speaking honestly with friends/family/others, or with your husband?

Maybe try the gym again, get out and take a walk. I want to avoid activities that are just distractions for the mind, i’d like to actively quiet my mind.

Obsessive thoughts get me too, @Dean_Acton. I can get so sucked into the worry loop! Wondering, what is ONE thing you can do this weekend to lighten the worry?

I’d love to give up my excessive need to control!! I’ve found that a very unhealthy coping mechanism I’ve developed is feeling like I need to control EVERYTHING. My boyfriend’s addiction has felt so out of control at times that I feel like I can solve it by controlling every other part of our relationship and within my life. It’s so exhausting and tiring for myself AND for him. I’d really like to learn how to manage this and teach myself to let go sometimes and just allow myself to be happy.

I remember when we were just getting my husband into rehab and I was finally beginning to feel a bit of release of responsibility and getting ready to get into my own healing. I was showing up to my therapist every week crying and I had started meditating, she strongly suggested considering meditative type activities to get out of my head. I think that’s what you’re suggesting and makes a ton of sense :slight_smile:

Oh I FEEL this @dori! Sometimes it feels good to be in control when everything feels crazy berserk bananas - until it turns exhausting.

I’ve turned your comment into a question over here for greater exposure because I’m suuuure other people have the same one.

One behavior I tend to resort to after I experience negative emotions is sleeping. Tucking under my quilt makes me feel safe. That’s unproductive.

To get out of this habit, I realized that I needed to address the causes of my negative emotions. And I found meditation to be a great way to help me listen to my body and hear important messages from my body through felt sensations. With daily meditation practice, I’m now able to be more connected to my true feelings by consciously breathing into my heart. This allows me to enter into a deeper state of allowing and witness my negative emotions and transmute them when they arise instead of falling victim to them. And when I realize that I’m not my emotions and that I can change my emotional state by consciously breathing into my heart, I’m no longer reliant on my bed for providing me with comfort. Instead, I become the master and creator of my vibrational frequencies and emotions.