What wins and worries are on your mind this week? [2.13.19-2.20.19]

What’s your current state of mind? Wins, Worries, this is the place to freely share what’s on your mind this week. We’d love to hear it!

And remember, you never know how your share might help this week!

As I continue to write about my story of my feelings with my sister alcoholic, this week was hard for me. I started going through pictures of when we were younger to include in my book and I had to stop after 20 minutes. It’s very painful for me - hence the reason for my book.

Win: My husband went to bed with me three times in a row! At midnight! This is a big deal since usually a "decent’ time for him is 3AM, and 5AM is not uncommon.

And not so much a worry, but I’ve been thinking about how we celebrate wins. I so appreciate this post and community for truly celebrating things like going to bed at midnight. While it might seem very strange for some people, when you’re living with someone in recovery it can mean everything. And it’s hard in this age of social media, where everyone is sharing the “perfect” things like vacations and promotions and beautiful meals and big life events - things “worthy” of being shared and celebrated. I see this especially with my husband’s family. They put so much value in the big things, the right things, the things you’re supposed to do like get a job, get married, buy a house, raise a family and go on vacations. These are the things they tell all their friends and post on Facebook. But how are they celebrating their son’s recovery? Are they posting about how he quit smoking? How he doesn’t drink anymore despite alcohol playing such a huge role in family gatherings? How he climbed his way out of the dark tunnel of addiction and continues climbing every day, every little thing like going to bed early or making his therapy appointment on time one step higher? Nope. They say “good job” when they see him, and I can tell they’re proud and happy, and I can’t really fault them for any of this. But sometimes I wish we could all see the value in celebrating the small wins because they are often the biggest, most difficult steps we have to make, and they deserve more than just a pat on the back.

Oof, what a double-edged sword @dbfbilly1! Any good memories come up from going through photos that you might want to share?

Worry: My son seems to be hitting a roadblock in his recovery and is having a hard time taking action to help himself, and has been in a depression for 3 weeks.
Win: I gathered my family together last night to discuss what has been going on, and we seem to have really gotten through to my son, as today he has taken some necessary steps to get himself help!