When addiction clears from one person in the family it passes to another until the underlying pain is healed - In your experience is this True or False?

family

I’ve heard this theory and thought it sounded a bit cuckoo but I can’t help feeling like I’m seeing it play out in my loved one’s family.

What do you think of this statement based on your experience?

:slight_smile:

Super interesting @Jane. I heard a quote similar recently: "Pain travels through families until someone is ready to feel it."

I’ve been thinking about it a lot - not so much as it relates to addiction, but other behaviors that get passed down. Things I learned from my parents, that they learned from their parents, that I didn’t/don’t necessarily like, yet I see them manifesting in my life, and now I am the generation to deal with them. Trying to figure out where it started and how to stop it. (Therapy is useful here!)

I think the theory makes a lot of sense! Need to learn new, healthier behaviors to pass on to the next generation.

Interesting perspective! Having two kids out of five who suffer from SUD, I don’t feel the disease ever clears. They have to make a decision every single day every single moment to not pick up. So although the symptoms may appear to go away , I know in my heart that at any given any moment it could rear its ugly head again.
We are not prisoners of this disease, we just live with an understanding .
Todays is a good day,
always here
Kris
Recovery Coach & Advocate
Ambrosia Treatment Center

Thats the best possible way to live, don’t fall victim to the disease , as long as he’s doing what he’s supposed to do then that’s all you can ask for . Focus on the right here right now, enjoy the moment! And by doing this and living this way your supporting your husband , you see the man he is , and kudos to you .
<3

Thanks for sharing @Kris_Perry_Long in my case it’s my husband who has struggled with addiction and made the conscious decision to marry him anyway, in the back of my mind under no illusion that things couldn’t get worse again.

So far it’s been slow and mostly positive progress. But I agree with you. And I don’t know what the statistics are or if I’m doing it to protect myself from looking foolish if things backslide but I think that being in this relationship I have to acknowledge that they could backslide.

Ah thank you so much for saying that. I do feel a little crazy at times! Appreciate chatting here with people like you who get it!!! <3