Would just being there for him/with him even if he’s high help?

heroin
communication

Thank you for all the great advice ! :slight_smile:

I looked at the post about books people are reading, and one that stood out was Beyond Addiction. So I bought it, and I’ve begun reading it. I’m not that far yet, but I feel it matches how I am and would want to handle the situation.

My friend seemed to get better for a couple days, and then headed right back down the path of relapse, and seems worse than before. He stayed at my place last night, but didn’t show up til after midnight after I’d already fallen asleep. He then said he had a stomach ache and ended up passing out in the bathroom. I heard him up at 4 am, so I went and checked on him, and he was stumbling around seemed very out of it. So I helped him lay back down. When I was taking him to work, he seemed loaded. Again, denied it, and I told him it would be better for him to take a day off than to lose his job. He said he had been to work loaded before and nothing happened. So I asked again, so are you loaded then. He still said no. I told him I didn’t believe him, and he just shrugged. I took him to work, I can’t stop him. And if he loses his job, that’s his consequences.

I’m so worried about it. I’m not angry still. Just frustrated and sad. I miss my friend and I hate watching him do this to himself. I’ll still be there for him, but I do need to take care of myself. I plan to still be in his life, but make sure I am doing what I need to do for myself, first and foremost.

I know I can’t talk to him when he’s like this. I am realizing that, and I think I read that as well. I am trying to get him to be honest with me, regardless of what it is. And hoping that will help him to be honest with himself. I’m kind of at a loss as far as what to do at this point because I can’t talk to him like this, and I don’t want to shut him out. I’d rather he be somewhere safe when he’s high, whether that be with me or his parents. Would just being there for him/with him even if he’s high help? ! :confused:

I’ve definitely heard that, particularly with heroin but with other drugs too, it can be advisable to make sure the person is not alone when using and yes to have a safe space. We just want to make sure you’re ok too. I think involving the parents and working as a team together is a great idea. This is a major feat you are undertaking so don’t forget you need support too.

Again - make sure you have or get some naloxone just in case.

*Also, so glad you got the Beyond Addiction book - it was game changing for me. And it’s actually part of the reason I wanted to start this online community. Because those evidence base skills are game changing. But they’re hard to fully digest in a book and when life is so crazy loving someone through addiction that we need new ways to get the info out there and support one another. Please keep us posted on how the book goes as you read it and how it helps / how you try out implementing some of the strategies. We’re thinking of doing some group work around some of the CRAFT protocols they share in the book so we can work through them together <3

Naloxone (Narcan) is available without a prescription in most states. CVS has a list here.

Just want to acknowledge you @JGibbs - it’s hard and lonely to watch someone struggle, and you’re being a really strong ally to your friend.

Like you & @polly have both said - if you take care of yourself and your safety first, I can imagine that just being there with/for him while he’s high (maybe with some Narcan handy :wink:) would help to eliminate other risk factors.