Am I doing the right thing by separating and going no contact with my exfiancé?

Hello, I am new to this community.

I am having a hard time today, I recently separated from my ex fiance, 3 weeks ago. He had been on and off cocaine, first he went to treatment, (I think he did it for me mainly) but then stopped. Hospitalization and operations (intestines) haven’t stopped him. The fact that he has a son to take care of (not mine) neither. I know he has tried to take very little now and again and hide his use before the split.

I know he loves me, but cocaine really messed his mental health. I had to ask him to leave my apartment where we both lived after an incomprehensible fight where he got verbally agressive and even threatening. It was all my fault… Then he disappeared for days. When I saw him he was a shell of himself. I must say that he is a lovely, sensitive person when not using, who has given me great moments of joy, love, care and affection. We were very much committed to each other. It breaks my heart to see him so lost. He has found an apartment of his own and we have separated.

He has since then (from a distance) lied, manipulated, been more on it than off, contacted my mother to try to destroy my relationship with her (though deep down he knows it is not possible), etc. I am truly devastated. He has shown no remorse whatsoever and is still trying to pull my strings, saying I am like a wall now etc. That he wants to see me, and I have said not for the moment, maybe someday, pointing out that his addictions hurt me too much. He surrounds himself with very toxic people as well, that I didn’t allow when together.

It has been eye-opening for me. I realize I am codependent (since ever), and that I have to learn to love myself first And him as well! But he is far from that point. He says he is miserable without me. More than that (our relationship) which is broken, I struggle keeping no contact. I feel he is really suffering but can’t own up to anything, and it is like watching or knowing someone you love is well on his way to complete destruction. I have been spending a lot of time alone since then. Today we message to return some stuff in the letter box, I could tell he was sober for once and at work and I could feel his despair and some truth to how he is: says he is lost. It makes me feel quite frankly like a bitch and it hurts so much. I know he can’t stand himself and it is easier to just go back to that. He obviously had an extremely difficult childhood, and all the love in the world from me and care hasn’t helped. I feel he is more lost than ever. He still says we need to talk. Even after his disappearing act I did agree to see him in a few more days to both be calm but before that and on his days off he used again and was very hateful towards me (calling my mother, accusing me of stuff, etc). So I now that he is sober again at least today I have said not really, to meeting up. At least not for the moment? What do you think? It is breaking my heart, I do wish we could talk but not sure it will make any sense to him. Our separation was brutal after 2 years and we did have good communication, at least that.

My closest tell me to never speak to him or see him again, they are afraid I will go back to him or get sucked back in. I thought that was the right plan but I am torn now. What do I do? I am not sure what is best for him and for me. It is tearing me apart.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I am in my late 30’s and would like to be a mum one day, that was our plan. Fortunately it hasn’t happened. But I fell I am abandoning him completely.

Hi @Biancachops, I’m new to this as well! I just want to say you sound so strong and brave. Have courage. You are putting yourself first and you need to keep doing that. My recovering addict friend always encourages me to “do the next right thing” by and for me (when dealing with my alcoholic husband). Its hard to tell you if your doing the right thing or not cause I often think I need to do the same but never do. I put faith in that one day it will become clear to me…and in the meantime I try to learn from lessons and build resilience by looking after me and putting our son (9 weeks old now)first. I love my husband so much as well but I hate how the addiction has hurt me too… I know he loves me so much but sometimes it’s just not enough? When hes sober its wonderful but sometimes its just not enough anymore too. Its a rollercoster. I guess, if you keep putting yourself first and keep doing the next right thing for you, you cant be wrong or make a bad decision…but you can learn from each thing as you go if you can be reflective and hones to you and yourself. Theres nothing wrong with protecting yourself from hurt.

Of course right now this will all feel so raw, it wouldnt be human if you didnt, so my thoughts are that you should stick to your guns cause you dont want to make decisions based on high emotions, wait until you feel calm and can see through these early days/weeks with clarity. Just sit with this for now if you can.

Sending you lots of strength and positive thoughts

Thank you so much, Vetti!
Thank you for your kind and supportive words!
It is so hard! I know what the outside world tells us to do, but when you are in a situation like this it is so different. Whether or not in a relationship, married, parent etc. If you care about someone, how can it not affect you?
After writing this I sent him a message saying that we could talk on the phone or see each other, but that I was afraid he would use in the meantime and become horrific again, and that he needed to be patient and sober. Interesting what he replied back: he said he wanted to see me whenever I felt ready, implying without setting dates or times.
Obviously this is the sober him speaking and who knows what might happen in the meantime. It is a rollercoaster. And I suppose trial and error as far as I am concerned. But I fell relieved. You are right, sometimes it is necessary to go with our guts, but above all continue taking care of ourselves. Thanks for not judging. I know my family would be saying to me now: What? You contacted him? Are yo crazy? So thank you for your kind words and support. :slight_smile: I wish you also all the strength and courage in the world and above all peace. :slight_smile: We all deserve that, that’s for sure.

Welcome here @Biancachops. Thank you sooo much for sharing with us! @Vetti is right - you are strong & brave, and we’re here to help carry the weight.

I think the “right thing” is subjective. It has to be the right thing for you! And if going no contact with your ex-fiance is the right thing for you right now, then right on!

You know the oxygen mask on the airplane metaphor? You gotta care for yourself before tending to another person… and they’re not wrong. The quality of care you can give depends on the quality of life you’re experiencing for yourself.

It sounds like taking a break from him and saying “not for the moment” is important for your own care right now. I’m curious though (genuinely curious), how is no contact for you? In what ways does it benefit you? You obviously care about this man, and it doesn’t sound like you want to “abandon him completely,” so what do you think about keeping the physical separation but adjusting your boundaries around contact?

Connection is critical to healing, so I wonder how you might stay connected to him (if that’s what you want!) in a way that takes care of you first! AND… the “right thing” for you be that no contact is the best way to go.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Always trial and error! Love this distinction. Gotta be experimental to figure out what works for you!

Dear Katie,

Thank you so much! it is so nice to receive your answers so shortly, and so unexpected! Can’t thank you enough!

I just replied this to Vetti:
"It is so hard! I know what the outside world tells us to do, but when you are in a situation like this it is so different. Whether or not in a relationship, married, parent etc. If you care about someone, how can it not affect you?
After writing this I sent him a message saying that we could talk on the phone or see each other, but that I was afraid he would use in the meantime and become horrific again, and that he needed to be patient and sober. Interesting what he replied back: he said he wanted to see me whenever I felt ready, implying without setting dates or times.
Obviously this is the sober him speaking and who knows what might happen in the meantime. It is a rollercoaster. And I suppose trial and error as far as I am concerned. But I feel relieved. You are right, sometimes it is necessary to go with our guts, but above all continue taking care of ourselves. Thanks for not judging. I know my family would be saying to me now: What? You contacted him? Are yo crazy? So thank you for your kind words and support. "

It was interesting to see his answer because it seems like putting dates or times might stress him ever more? I don’t know. But I liked it. He might probably do something more in the meantime but at least I went with my heart today.

No contact was essential for my sanity at least at first. He is wonderful, but I don’t know if you share the same experiences with them when using, because he is horrific, and all his hate is directed towards me. It is so difficult to separate the person you know from the one addicted at times.

It has brought about many discoveries about myself, about the fact that I probably was always trying to fill an emptiness, void, or a lack of worth and love through my relationships, That is why I say I am codependent. I tick many boxes. I didn’t realize before. Strange that the same feelings, lack of self-worth or self-love, was what brought our partner and I together. He was quite happy with me poring all this love and depending on me. But deep down had the same issues, manifested in different ways. It felt perfect really,. Strange to discover that in some ways I was controlling-apart from over-caring in my relationship with him, to the point of forgetting my own needs, wanting him to “fit” into what I deem to be appropriate to be in a relationship. Which is probably true, but maybe he wasn’t ready. He tried so hard, he really did. I know that. He made so much progress but then started slipping down to a point where he would have destroyed me or was doing so.

I have come to understand during these painful weeks that for two people to really be able to love each other, they need to first love themselves. It starts there. And to be healthy in that regard. That is what I am working on, for me, because I can no longer live like this. I would feel so anxious an out of control by what “he” was doing, and now I understand that when you feel love for yourself and for others akin, there will be no unnecessary pain. I will let things be. That is the point I want to reach. To reach a higher self, a happy, fulfilled one first And of course to share that. At this point I am sure his path will be a different one to mine, but it is positive that we have separated to each work on ourselves. I am. I hope he is too. It is sad to think he will keep destroying himself.

Of course I want to be there for him. But I still love him and he can be very manipulative… aren’t they all when like that? And I have so much work to do on myself.

I hope I have answered your question, Katie. Thank you for your genuine interest. It feels really good letting these things out. I haven’t really been able to express them until now. It feels really good. <3

I’m so glad you’re learning about yourself and growing through this experience @Biancachops. I guess that’s one thing we can hope for, right? Self improvement, if nothing else!

Want to offer up some additional posts that are loosely related to codependency that you might find interesting:

Codependency - how do you feel about this concept?
I left the relationship. Now what?
I am just so tired - how long do I have to live like this?

And inviting @Jane to share her perspective on the word ‘codependent’ - and how she prefers to reframe!

Really glad that you were able to briefly connect with him today while he was sober! That must’ve felt good!