Any tips for how to shift or let go of expectations?

self-care

Inspired by @shea on this post. When you feel so attached to your ideas of what/how your loved one should be. When you can’t let go of your expectations. What to do? Any advice?

Glad to be inspiring! lol I’m still struggling… for me it’s not even just the general big idea what/ how my loved one should be, it’s even the little things. I guess that goes into more of being controlling rather than having unmanageable expectations, but I feel like those areas overlap a lot for me. For me it’s just a change in mindset and continually reminding myself to let go of whatever hopes and expectations I’m clinging to. Sometimes it works, a lot of times it doesn’t. Today I read the quote, “Have high motivations and low expectations” and I’m trying to replace my expectations with that thought.

Ah, makes a lot of sense! Any specific examples you feel comfortable to share of ‘the little things?’ Others might have similar experience.

Little things that I try to control include, when he wakes up, when he goes to the clinic, when he does he community service, when he is available to talk to me. Sometimes it feels reasonable like I expect him to figure out getting to the clinic but sometimes it’s like I feel the need to talk to him and I want him to wake up and talk to me completely on my time.