How do I encourage them to go to AA meetings?

communication
recovery

From Village Community member:

My mom will go to one or two meetings and then stop. She says “I don’t have a problem.” The others do.

Original topic:

The CRAFT Approach:

Here are a few tips to approaching the situation that may be helpful from CRAFT!

1. Ask permission to have a conversation: by doing this you allow her to invite you in rather than intrude, it allows her to be a participant in the conversation versus a passive recipient, and by asking permission you increase the likelihood that she will listen to what you have to say and be open and receptive.

2. You can now provide her with information you may want to share: offer, don’t impose, provide options to achieve the goal (for support until she gets into treatment AA -you can go with her, go to a therapist, talk to her doctor, go to group therapy, etc), if there is disagreement flow with it so it reinforces that you want to be an ally in helping positive change for the both of you.

3. Check back in with her by asking “does that make sense to you”, or “I just want to check back in about…”

The most important thing in approaching this is coming from a non-judgemental, empathetic, supportive place. We catch more flies with honey!

A note from the Village :love_letter:: Our Coaches are CRAFT certified and uniquely expert in training families to face addiction and get through recovery together. If you are interested in additional support, check out our online CRAFT programs at wethevillage.co.