How do you personally define "good" treatment?

My immediate concern is getting my loved one safe & sober.

How do you define “good” treatment?
What should I look for? What is most important?
What Qs might I ask when researching available options?

Not all my thoughts but a few tips on questions and what to look out for!

What to ask:

• What kind of treatment does the program or provider offer? (all currently available methods or just one approach? Medication? Mental health addressed?)
  • Is treatment tailored to the individual? (whether or not treatment will be adapted to meet changing needs as they arise?)
  • What is expected of the patient?
  • Is treatment success measured?
  • How does the program or provider handle relapse?

What to look out for:

• Be wary of unsolicited referrals to out-of-state treatment facilities.
    - Anyone seeking to arrange for addiction treatment out of state may be getting paid by treatment center
    - In Massachusetts, it is illegal for recruiters to accept kickbacks for referring you to treatment
  • Be wary of anyone offering to pay for your insurance coverage. They can stop paying your premiums at any time, which will result in the cancellation of your insurance.
  • If you accept an offer by someone to pay for travel to an out-of-state clinic, make sure you have a plan and the means to pay for a trip back home.
  • Be careful about giving your personal information – including your SSN or insurance number – to a recruiter, unless you can confirm that the person is employed by a medical provider or insurance company.
  • If someone is offering to arrange travel or cover insurance costs for treatment, call the treatment facility or your insurance company to confirm that the person is an employee.

Super helpful @erica! Your tips in “what to look out for” are enlightening - I wouldn’t have known some of this stuff before!