How to avoid another relapse?

relapse
recovery
mental-health

I really need some kind of advice.

My boyfriend has been going through soo much stress these last couple weeks while in active recovery. He currently is staying in a 12 step halfway house. However, he is going through family issues and his parents are getting divorced… one that seems like it will get ugly. He is stressing over money as every penny he receives from his new job goes to bills. His car that gets him to work needs regular maintenance that he can’t afford. My boyfriend also suffers from depression that comes and goes in waves. He is currently on one of those waves. All of these things added up would affect anyone negatively.

But I’m so worried about him. I don’t know what to do to help other than tell him I am here for him and be loving and supportive. But that just doesn’t feel like enough. My words can’t change anything and I worry that these stressors and depression could push him over the edge and cause him to relapse. Please give me any advice or kind words on how to help. I don’t want to see this pain in his eyes anymore.

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. When I know my husband is going through a really hard time and I’m feeling helpless, not only do I let him know I’m here for him, but I also ask specifically how I can support him. This way he can tell me exactly what he needs from me without feeling like he has to approach me for help.