How to help a loved one detox from heroin and alcohol at home when they won't go to an inpatient detox?

opiates
suboxone

My loved one says he doesn’t need inpatient detox, (which he does), and so I’m wondering if I can bring him to my house (he lives on his own) and help him go through the withdrawal? He has Suboxone but doesn’t use it properly. As I write this, he is trying to go out and get drugs. He tried to stay clean a few days and got so sick he went out again tonight. :cry:

You have to be strong , create boundaries and not waiver. Let them know you love them but until the get help that’s all that you have to offer . Tell them you’ll be here when they are ready for help.

Always here,
Kris
Recovery Coach & Advocate

We are going through this right now. We brought our son home. We set boundaries for him. Some of those boundaries include attending an outpatient rehab and going to NA meetings 4 nights a week. Before we could get him to a doctors appointment he wanted to leave for 2 days. I said that he could go but when he came back outpatient rehab would no longer be an option. The only option would be inpatient rehab or go live somewhere else. He chose to stay. He is now 9 days clean and sober. We are making progress.

That’s awesome, setting achievable boundaries are so key combined with supportive guidance . Keep doing working hard, but not harder than he is . This is his journey, and you and your family have your own.
Thank you for sharing your success’s as they are so important for others , to gain some hope!

Kris

I so appreciate your reply. We haven’t set any boundaries for our son. Not sure if he will agree to come home to detox. He’s trying to do it on his own, but hasn’t been successful. Really need to set this boundaries! You’ve given me some ideas.

Hey @lm15042. Just want to point out a few important things to keep in mind regarding your question: It’s extremely dangerous to detox without medical supervision. There are a lot of side effects that come with detoxing off of heroin and alcohol.

This is something that should be consulted with your medical doctor, as tapering off of both of them requires medical monitoring, and everyone is different and has a different path in recovery. Tapering off of both can be dangerous without the monitoring of a doctor and treatment team so I encourage you to reach out to local resources: your medical doctor, local detox facilities (both inpatient and outpatient detox centers exist), any other treatment providers you may have.

Below are diagnostic criteria for withdrawal from both substances taken from the DSM V:

Opioid Withdrawal
Diagnostic Criteria
A. Presence of either of the following:

1. Cessation of (or reduction in) opioid use that has been heavy and prolonged (i.e., several weeks or longer).
  2. Administration of an opioid antagonist after a period of opioid use. (Naloxone or Naltrexone)

B. Three (or more) of the following developing within minutes to several days after Criterion A:

1. Dysphoric mood.
  2. Nausea or vomiting.
  3. Muscle aches.
  4. Lacrimation or rhinorrhea. (teary eyes or runny nose)
  5. Pupillary dilation, piloerection (hairs standing up), or sweating.
  6. Diarrhea.
  7. Yawning.
  8. Fever.
  9. Insomnia.

Most individuals who are physiologically dependent on short acting drugs such as heroin begin to have withdrawal symptoms 6-12 hours after the last dose. Symptoms may take 2-4 days to emerge in the case of longer-acting drugs such as methadone or buprenorphine. Acute withdrawal symptoms for a short-acting opioid such as heroin usually peak within 1-3 days and gradually subside over a person of 5-7 days. Less acute withdrawal symptoms can last for weeks to months.

Alcohol Withdrawal
Diagnostic Criteria
A. Cessation of (or reduction in) alcohol use that has been heavy and prolonged.
B. Two (or more) of the following, developing within several hours to a few days after the cessation of (or reduction in) alcohol use described in Criterion A:

1. Autonomic hyperactivity (e.g., sweating or pulse rate greater than 100 bpm).
  2. Increased hand tremor.
  3. Insomnia.
  4. Nausea or vomiting.
  5. Transient visual, tactile, or auditory hallucinations or illusions.
  6. Psychomotor agitation.
  7. Anxiety.
  8. Generalized tonic-clonic seizures.

Acute alcohol withdrawal occurs as an episode usually lasting 4-5 days and only after extended periods of heavy drinking. Symptoms usually peak in intensity the second day of abstinence.

If any of the above symptoms present and you have any concern, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room to ensure your loved ones safety.

If I can help at all please let me know.

A note from Village :love_letter: : Our Coaches are trained in the leading evidence-based methods. If you’re interested to learn more about Coach Erica, click here.