My partner is out of rehab, but I'm nervous. How do I cope?

self-care
rehab
communication

From Village Community member:

My fiancé has been out of rehab for about a month now but I’m afraid. Today was the first day since he got out of rehab that he went to lunch with a guy he became friends with in rehab. Although he has been clean for 5 months now I’m fearful of him being around someone else who is new to recovery. I don’t want to treat him like a child but I don’t want him to relapse. I’m trying not to keep calling him or texting him while he’s out but I don’t know this person.

Original topic:

Can a relationship survive during and after rehab?

The CRAFT approach:

What I’ve found to be useful is to:

1. Acknowledge these anxieties that come up for you during their recovery
  2. Take self care and self soothing actions when they do
  3. Process the emotions (writing / positive communication exercise can be helpful here)
  4. Determine if it’s something you need to address/talk about with your partner
  5. Identify a time that is conducive to discuss, ask their permission to talk about it (eg. “hey, I realized that I felt quite anxious when you met your friend from rehab, do you mind if we chat about it - would now suit or can we agree on a time? It will really help me feel a lot better.”)
  6. When talking with them about it, talk from your perspective - eg. “I felt anxious because I worried you might be thinking about using” and ask about their experience “how was it for you” and you could ask something of them “in the future/next time, it would really calm my anxiety if you kept in touch every X time period while out with a rehab buddy, do you think you would do that for me? Even just for now, and we can reassess when my anxieties cool off and I’m less on edge about everything.”

In our CRAFT program one of the cornerstone skills is Positive Communication which builds on the above, it’s a must have for anyone in relationship with someone in addiction or recovery - hope you’ll try it out (free 7 day trial available at HERE)!

A note from the Village :love_letter:: Our Coaches are CRAFT certified and uniquely expert in training families to face addiction and get through recovery together. If you are interested in additional support, check out our online CRAFT programs at wethevillage.co.**