The ball dropped. Police were called. SO is receiving help. Now what?

treatment
mental-health

This is my first post. My husband “forced” me to call 911 the other night because it was that I stay with the kids and call 911 or that I leave. He’s black out (according to him) drunk.

I called 911. Now he was forced into AA, anger management, short detox, and possible 28 day rehab.

I feel lost. I don’t even know where to start.

Sounds like he is getting all he needs.
Take good care of yourself and all the best. :heart:

This is a good starting place. Al Anon might be helpful new, they were always super welcoming to new members. I don’t have much other experience or answers, but I hope your family can get through this. The only way out is through.

Yes! Did you see our Instagram today!? Same reminder!

Welcome here @JWallgren. I’m so glad you feel safe sharing this confusing time with us.

I relate with you very closely. Nearly 2 years ago now, my dad wandered to his neighbors while he was hallucinating, saying some really weird stuff, and they called the cops on/for him. This was the second time the cops had picked him up, and this time they helped me get him (/force him) into rehab. He did a 30 day inpatient program.

I kept a journal during that time because everyday was a rollercoaster (which I would recommend to you, too - it helps keep the days and emotions and facts straight).

At first he was confused, then adamant that he shouldn’t be there, then “OK I know I need rehab, but can we find a nicer one?” then accepting of the program he was where he found sobriety, motivation, & community. But, it was the craziest freaking time! I know the specifics are different in our stories, but I totally relate to your feeling of lost.

Something I wish I had taken more seriously at the time was my own well-being. I would drop everything to pick up a phone call from the center, juggled my work and dad’s business, driving several hours each way once or twice a week, etc. ALL of which I would do again because the program was really beneficial to him (even if he was coaxed into it against his will, kinda) and because I care about him - but in reflection, I would prioritize 8 hours of sleep and ‘do not disturb’ on my phone. And I’d probably drink more water.

I hope these reflections/suggestions don’t sound trite in the midst of what I imagine is a very scary and lonely and confusing time for you and your family, because honestly these little acts of kindness toward myself would’ve helped ten-fold.

Please let me know what you think! I want to help carry your weight, if you’ll let me. :hugs: