I’ve heard some very compelling personal reports and MD research into ibogaine as a treatment to overcome addiction - particularly but not just limited to opiate addiction.
For someone who doesn’t know what ibogaine is (me ) can you share the basics? Ibogaine 101, if you will…
Yeah I’m curious about this too, never heard of this
Here’s some brief information on Ibogaine (I do not have any personal experience):
- It’s a natural psychoactive substance found in plants
- Today, it is illegal in the US and considered a Schedule 1 drug (substances the federal government deems having high potentials for abuse and no culturally accepted medical use), but is available in other countries
- It is used to treat opioid addiction as well as other highly addictive substances, and has been used for personal and spiritual development
- Recreational use is basically non-existent It is used in non-clinical settings when treating addiction due to it being a Schedule 1 drug
- It has been known to greatly reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings
If you are considering this PLEASE do your research. I’m not an MD and have never worked with Ibogaine so this is just meant to provide a bit of information. Speak with healthcare professionals if this is something you are looking into!
Yes that is correct ibogaine does not only help in opiate addiction but it helps in so many other thinks. Ibogaine is the name of the principle and best-researched active compound in iboga. It can appear as [off-white crystals] or in the form of a clear solution. Doses of about 15-20 mg/kg (so as high as 1400 mg for a 150 lb individual) are[ typical for addiction treatment]. Many treatment centers have had excellent results with it, especially with opiate addiction as it can completely eliminate withdrawal. It has been extracted and synthesized with 95-99% purity, so the dose can be very carefully controlled and calibrated to suit your specific needs.
Ibogaine passes through your system more quickly in about 14-24 hours, leaving less of an “afterglow” than iboga. This also means that it has a shorter recovery period, which is more in line with what some individuals need. Pure ibogaine tends to lead to more hyperactivity afterward, whereas iboga results in a more balanced state.
Thanks so much for sharing @erica! I’d literally never heard of this before so this is helpful.
I have researched hundreds of alternative treatments and this is the first I have ever heard of iboga or ibogaine.